Oh the things you learn on tours of cities…the useless pieces of knowledge that most people in this world care nothing about. I have a mind that remembers the most useless points and locks it way to be pulled out later (and usually really awkward) moments in my life. BP is always telling me that I know the oddest and most pointless information of anyone she knows…
Please allow me to share some of this knowledge now…did you know that the famed King Wenceslas from the Christmas carol wasn’t a real king, he was a duke in the region of 
This Christmas was definitely an interesting one! I was in 
When we arrived we tried to map out what we wanted to see of 
We slept in for a bit on Christmas Eve and finally got going around 11AM that morning when we set out in search of food. We found a very traditional Czech restaurant and I ordered the goulash, which was AMAZING! We were attempting to make a walking tour around 1:30 but got lost on the way and ended up in the Jewish district, the former ghetto from pre WWII times. Needless to say, we were so caught up in looking around there that by the time we made it to the tour meeting point we were too late…so we stopped to reassess our plans for the day. It was decided that we’d just walk and shop and take pictures instead of trying to plan any other appointments, as everything was closing up early that day anyway. We made our way over to the river and crossed a bridge to the other side. Along the way we popped into little shops or stopped to look at the work of a street vendor and bought basically all our souvenirs that afternoon. We took a lovely stroll along the river and then headed back to the other side via another bridge, and this time a quite famous one, the
We walked through the 
On Christmas Day we started out a little earlier and left the hostel about 9AM. We made our way to the Castle and bought the standard two day ticket. We walked around there for a few hours seeing the sights and freezing to death (I’m told the high day was around -3C which is 26F). I will say we were fairly miserable because we couldn’t feel our toes and fingers! Then we headed over for our second attempt at the walking tour of the city and this time we were successful. We had a great guide who told us all the pointless facts of the city and why things are named the way they are. In the two hours, he took us into several areas of the city and we saw things we wouldn’t have seen without the tour. (Check out the pic of Wenceslas riding the upside down horse…). After the tour we took a few minutes to call our families from a call center, which was nice. I managed to catch most everyone together around lunch time at my grandmother’s house. We then enjoyed an awkward meal at, what turned out to be, a REALLY nice restaurant. I think we were all out of our elements and felt a bit out of place so we couldn’t even enjoy the meal properly. Later that evening we thought it’d be fun to go on a ghost tour, as
We decided to top off the evening in the best way we knew how and we went in search of a wine cellar that is recommended in my travel book. By then we were old pros and navigating the city so it didn’t take us long at all to locate the street and building we were looking for. When we entered the place we thought it seemed pretty dead…not many people and only about 4 stools by the tiny little bar. But over in the corner there was a small staircase leading underground and what we found there really amazed me! It was a labyrinth of caves and probably 200 people. It was quite loud and I’m not sure how you can’t hear it upstairs. We sat for a while having our own private conversation and after about an hour a local guy came up and asked if we could play foosball with him and his friends because they didn’t have enough people. We stayed for quite a while playing and socializing. It was the perfect end to the day and when we finally arrived back at the hostel at 1:30ish we fell into bed from the sheer exhaustion of the day!
Now on to the 26th-the day we went home! We still wanted to see more of the castle and buy a few last minute souvs so we knew we needed to be on time that day, for everything! We left the hostel around 8:30 and made our way straight over to the castle. After seeing a few more sights and exhibits there we finally got to enter the building I’d been waiting on the whole trip-St. Vitus Cathedral! This church is built inside the castle, I guess you could say it’s in the courtyard area, and it’s enormous! Its beautiful Gothic architecture is the first thing you see when you are looking at the
We also were able to witness the changing of the guards at the castle gates, twice…once from the outside and once from inside the castle. It’s an interesting experience from both directions. On the view from the inside we got to see quite an interesting series of events. Picture this: guards marching very ceremonially and according to tradition, not a thing out of place on their uniforms. A very attractive guard has just finished his hour long duty and is now marching back into the headquarters within the castle when he spots some young girls, whom I believed to be Americans, standing over to one side…so what does he do?? He winks at them, which I’m sure is not allowed and the girls let out the loudest giggles which echo around the square and the guard’s face goes bright red! I tell you…it made my day. I didn’t actually see the winking but my friends did, I just found the whole series of events to be quite comical! (and NO…we weren’t the girls…but he was cute and I wouldn’t have minded…hehe…). We had one last stop to make on our way back to the hostel to collect out bags. We were recommended by the hostel staff and also my guide book to visit a place called Bohemia Bagel. We’d gone by every day we’d been there and they were closed, all except the last day. We decided to make it our lunch stop and am I ever glad we did! They served American style breakfast and they served it all day! I had gravy and biscuits, eggs, AND bacon!!! It made the happiest girl in 
Overall my trip was excellent, not a proper Christmas, but still a great trip! I want to go back to 
I’m headed out on the 31st to 
Love you all!
LuLu

No comments:
Post a Comment