The rantings of an American girl living abroad in Switzerland...

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Turks and Caicos - our search for warm weather in February...

Four months ago, Brian and I got the idea to book a trip to somewhere warm for February...now that it's 30 degrees in Georgia, I'm ever so glad we did! I'm a faithful reader of the Clark Howard travel deals emails so when I came across a fabulous airfare to Turks and Caicos we jumped on it!  

The adventure began yesterday...nearly freezing our fingers off as we walked to Marta (trying to avoid wearing heavy coats and taking winter items that we certainly wouldn't need at the beach!). At the airport, in my excitement, I managed to hit a sliding door so hard with the bag I was pulling behind me that the door derailed...we walked away quickly but laughed about it for hours. Brian had a scare thinking he'd lost his car keys. They were in his coat pocket on the plane but not when we got in line for customs in Turks and Caicos. We went so far as to have several people search the plane and filed a lost and found report with the airport - who knew where they could be!....turns out, in all the chaos of deplaning, he had put them in his carry on and they'd fallen down to the bottom with his clothes and shoes.  So, when we got to the hotel and all of that was settled, our vacation finally began!   

The temps here are in the mid 70s. Our plane landed under a thick layer of dark gray clouds which I was expecting after watching the forecast for the last few weeks. It's threatening to rain a good bit while we're here but we are hoping for some good weather too. 

Once we put our bags in the room and changed into warm weather clothes, we headed for the beach to take a quick walk and get our bearings. It was almost completely empty - there was us and a cute young couple who got engaged there moments before we arrived. :)  We found a wonderful restaurant and had an Italian feast sitting outside under the lights, though the winds blew strong and it threatened to rain. I took this picture of the sunset as we walked along Grace Bay...even on a super cloudy evening, the water here is gorgeous! 


This morning I woke to beautiful blue skies and a nice warm wind. We are going to spend the day at the beach and hopefully I'll have some fun photos and stories to tell. 

Until then...

LuLu

No comments: