The rantings of an American girl living abroad in Switzerland...

Monday, October 23, 2006

Let's see a show of hands...

Hum, it seems to me that I had a once in a lifetime experience today. Well, maybe that’s a bit of an overstatement but I’m still going to make it! Today I went to Liechtenstein, a small country between Switzerland and Austria, with a few friends. We only visited the capital city, Vaduz, but it was very cool! So, basically this country is so small you can blink and miss it. We had to pay 2CHF (Swiss Francs) to get our passports stamped. Man, I wanted that stamp though…anything to say I’ve been there!

Liechtenstein still has a royal family. They live in a castle overlooking Vaduz. This castle was honestly nothing spectacular compared to some I’ve seen. It’s also off limits to visitors. So, with that in mind, my friends and I climbed the hill to have a better look at the royal home! We walked around the outside and took some pictures. I think if I remember correctly, the building was originally built in the very late 13th century. However, additions and fires and such have given us the building which we saw today. Currently there are almost two rulers. The prince who is the Head of State and his son who was handed the day to day decisions back in 2004. Click here if you are even remotely interested in seeing a picture. As we were walking around this castle we see them walking together out in the garden…VERY COOL!!! You may be asking how we knew them…we had just been to the History Museum and looked at their pictures…very distinguished looking characters! Now, I will tell you I did respect their privacy and I didn’t take a picture (I mean, they wouldn’t come to my house and take my picture…) but it was a very interesting and surreal moment. I’m told that the Swiss (and the Liechtensteinians…hum, is that right?) are just not interested in the rich and famous as much as we are in the States (another little fact I’ve learned in the last week…Tina Turner lives somewhere in Zurich and she is often seen out and about using the public transportation). So, I’m sure these royals are out and about amongst the people more just because of this. However, it was HUGE deal to me…so I have to ask for a show of hands of anyone who also saw royalty today…hehe!!!



Overall we had a really great day and I got a new stamp in the old passport! I’ve included a picture from today’s journey so you can all feel like you were along as well. What you see in the picture is basically what the whole of Liechtenstein looks like. And, I'm fairly positive that just over the moutains behind me is Switzerland....again...tiny little place!!

Miss you all and I love you!!!

LuLu

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great pic. of you!! Keep the blogs coming!!