The rantings of an American girl living abroad in Switzerland...

Friday, December 22, 2006

Sheep, Chagall, and more…

Today was a very busy day!! I woke early to finish up some things and then off to the kindergarten Christmas play. The youngest girl was a sheep this year…very cute…let me dig up a pic…see below…the whole thing was great and the children did a wonderful job with their lines and songs!



After that I was off for an afternoon with a friend here in Zurich. We went to a French restaurant for lunch where I had good food and good wine. After our leisurely lunch we headed to the Flughafen (airport) Eventsdock for the Chagall Exhibition. Wow…it was fabulous. As previously mentioned…I really have a great appreciation for his art. I find it intriguing and a bit vague at times but it is at that point where the viewer can put their own spin on the piece…it often becomes more personal in that respect.

So…during our afternoon together I was asked about two things that stuck in my head…why I liked the pieces at the exhibit and what they meant to me…and also we had a discussion on wine and how we describe what we like and find out what we appreciate more than other types… As I walked home tonight I had a thought about these two things. For me I can speak about them both at the same moment…I like what I like! Just because a white might go better with a particular meal doesn’t mean I will order it…I like red wine! I have recently acquired an appreciation and intense attraction toward seeing all of Chagall’s work that I possibly can. I like his stuff…his use of color and some reoccurring themes. I’ve never really been a person who liked to speak about why I like what I like…the colors, the taste, the dryness, the objects…they all make up what makes it likeable for me. Ok….so I’ve now rambled for a while…and really this portion is just for the benefit of my friend who I’ve spent the day with…



Sorry…on to other things. Last night I went to the Lichterschwimmen in Zurich. This is apparently a tradition where children make lanterns and put in lit candles which float on the Limmat River (see pic above...not a great one but the best I could do...). I really expected it all to be more exciting than it turned out to be; however, it was a good time with friends and ended up being a very peaceful experience. All in all it was worth the trip into the city.

Megz and Amanda are out of town…respectively they are in Florence, Italy and Wyoming. I leave tomorrow AM for Rome (no not Rome, GA but the Rome in Italy…) where I will spend Christmas and a week after with BP and Jase. Can’t wait…see you guys in a few hours!!! As a result of this I will not be posting for at least 8 days unless I get really adventurous…which I doubt…I love you all…

MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM ITALY (by way of Switzerland…)

LuLu

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas LuLu!!!

Julien said...

I am sorry, Lacey

I didn't want to annoy you with my questions about Chagall and other stuff. To be honest, I am a bit like you on this. I enjoy the moment and don't really expect to talk about it immediately after, or else quite a long time after.

I was just trying to be friendly and show you my interest by talking about you and what you like in life. You are always talking with the other girls so I didn't want that afternoon to feel awkward with deep silences... You should have told me instead.

Anyway, if this was not too much of a cold shower for you, and if you are still willing to come and see a sunset with me one day, promise, I won't ask how you feel. And it is after all the only true way to enjoy a sunset panorama anyway.