The rantings of an American girl living abroad in Switzerland...

Friday, May 04, 2007

Appenzell Landsgemeinde

It is hard for me to even begin to describe the event which I had the pleasure of witnessing this past Sunday (the last Sunday in April). The Landsgemeinde is a gathering of active citizens, voters, in the Appenzell region of Switzerland. It occurs every year on the last Sunday of April in an area which I guess you could call the town square. They gather to vote on resolutions and also appoint people to office for the region. What makes it unusual is how they do it…show of hands…

This is such a traditional event that people come from all over just to watch. The whole thing was in German so of course I didn’t know what was going on but I did get to see several people pass out from the heat (it was noon and the sun was bright as I’ve ever seen it!).

There was a parade of sorts where all the local dignitaries are welcomed to the event, a band playing, and even people in traditional dress. The police for the region were in full dress gear and I can imagine they were burning up because they were wearing what looked like wool suits-black and hats that had the appearance of metal.

What I did notice fairly early on was the fact that a lot of the men voting were carrying things that looked like swords. I’m told they are called rapiers and that they are handed down through the family from generation to generation. I’m told that only voters with official voting cards are allowed into the voting ring; however, men carrying rapiers are allowed to bring them instead and are then welcomed into the circle.

I took the journey over to Appenzell with Manda and Megz. It was a great trip and we were able to see a lot of the countryside of Switzerland from the trains. We are planning to do more things like this around Switzerland so if anyone hears of any interesting things let me know because I’d like to look into doing more around the country I’m currently calling home.

Ok…I’m going but expect another post soon. I’ve got lots to catch up on!!

LuLu

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lake Zurich looks beautiful!!! It makes me want to be on the water!!!! Right now!!!

Megan said...

Ummmm that day was nearly my last day on earth as I roasted under the sun beside the Appenzellians.

Crazy people waving swords.....