The rantings of an American girl living abroad in Switzerland...

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A Day in St. Gallen, Switzerland

Hi All!!

Two weekends ago, Megan and I spent the day in St. Gallen, Switzerland. I’ve read for ages now about a famous library, listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, there which is party of an entire Abbey Complex and I just had to see it for myself!

Megan and I talked all week about going to another city in this beautiful country, we currently call home; but, at the last minute we opted for St. Gallen. Am I ever glad we did!

This library was extraordinarily beautiful. I’m told it houses over 150, 000 books and a good many of those were handwritten, by monks. Many of them are over 1000 years old. The idea of having so many pieces of history in such a small room amazes me! The structural beauty of this place was astounding as well. It was just fantastic! The most amazing thing to me was the 2,500 year old Egyptian mummy in the back corner. Such a well preserved mummy...sooo cool! I thought Megan would be sick looking at it, but it really was such an interesting thing to see...all in all, I’m not as well read about this place so if you are interested in more just click on the links provided in this post.

Other than the library, we also visited the cathedral (which is also located in the Abbey complex), and the street painted red. It was quite a cold day, I’m told St. Gallen was the coldest place in Switzerland that day which a temp of 1 degree Celsius…which is around 32-33 degrees Fahrenheit…quite cold!

I definitely would encourage you to take a stroll around this beautiful city if you get the chance!

I’m on a roll with the posting tonight….stay tuned for more….

Love you all!!

LuLu

No comments: