The rantings of an American girl living abroad in Switzerland...

Monday, March 28, 2011

A Very Smurfy Birthday Party...







My arrival in Zurich just happened to coincide with the birthday celebration for girl aged 8...her actual birthday was several days before I arrived and yesterday was the party.


Every year the girls have these wonderful little parties with the most gorgeous, very creative cakes! The new (old) trend in the area right now is the popularity of smurfs and as such that was the cake theme for girl aged 8 this year. My host mum put together a really cool scene using an amazing homemade lemon cake, different lollies from the sweets drawer and smurf figurines and houses borrowed from people older than me who still hade their childhood things....it was truly amazing!


For majority of the party, a treasure hunt through the forest was planned. Host mum and I did the circuit that morning putting out little prize smurfs with clues on them as to which child was the lucky recipient and then also a few snacks and drinks along the way....as a side note, I should add, sitting behind a desk from 8:30-5pm Monday-Friday has done nothing for my severely out of shape body and I can tell you with all honesty that I've done more excersize and gotten more fresh air in the last 4 days than in the entire last year of my life. After returning home I promptly sat on the outside bench, coffee in hand, exhausted for about 20 minutes!


The party was an enormous success! The 8 little girls giggled heaps, played games (like several three-legged races), did the forest treasure-hunt circuit (which had a few minor problems-all ok in the end-and surprising, even to myself, I joined in on....), and at the end of the hunt were met by possibly the biggest surprise of the day....two horses waiting for them to each have a turn riding. Horses are another big hit for the girls (and has been for as long as I've known them!) so it was an extra special surprise set up by host mum and dad...


I'm going to cut this post short now and head to bed. I've just gotten to a particularly interesting part of my book and I want to get back to it before I'm too tired to concentrate tonight....I've included a few pics from the Smurf Birthday (including a particularly entertaining one of host dad minding the horses while we all had cake)....


Tomorrow I'm headed into the city of Zurich for the first since landing. It's my birthday...I'll be celebrating the 2nd anniversary of my 29th birthday tomorrow by shopping my way across the city and stopping multiple times for coffee at all my favorite spots!


Until then.....


LuLu






No comments: