The rantings of an American girl living abroad in Switzerland...

Saturday, July 26, 2014

A case FULL of cheese!

Another day has begun, my friends, and I find myself again in the beautiful village of Lain. But more on that in a moment. First, a recap of yesterday...

When I arrived in Zurich yesterday, I had only a few hours free until I needed to head south, up to the mountains of Graubunden. I spent that time getting a few things together and wandering around the city of Zurich. Usually I would spend my time shopping but yesterday I resisted the urge since I don't have room in my pack for much more. Instead, I wandered the streets to see what had changed since my visit last March. I found myself at a high point overlooking the Limmat river and the "old city" across the way...a place I'd been before but can't remember the name of at this current moment. I took a few photos and sat to enjoy the calmness and the view for a while. The weather has even very agreeable and it was lovely to be outside in the fresh air. When I'm at home, I don't do enough of this...getting out, exploring, just being out in nature....but I digress.  Here's my favorite picture from yesterday in the city....



In the afternoon, I hopped on a train to the city of Thusis in the south. It was there that I met up with my friend (and former host mum) and went to see the girls at their horse riding camp which was finishing up. It is amazing to see how much they've grown...they look so much more mature and are both now taller than me! After the camp finished, we made our way to Lain. The drive was beautiful - overlooking ravines and rivers of the most beautiful minty blue/green color (I believe an indication that the water is super cold, probably glacier/snow runoff) with the mountains in the background. The last road we went up was hard on the nerves....very narrow and winding...up, up, up from what I'm guessing is the valley floor. I'm told in winter it's mostly impassable...I know for sure that I wouldn't want to try it!  

The views from Lain are fantastic - you can see right down the valley and so many mountains. Last time I was here in very early spring but it may as well have been winter because it snowed a good bit. Last time I went skiing, I'll spare you the details and just say it did not go that well!  This trip, assuming the weather holds up, I plan to go for some beautiful walks/hikes and enjoy the fresh mountain air. To my mind, there is no more beautiful place on earth than Switzerland. Being here and enjoying life, I'm not sure it gets any better than this!



In the evening we had a raclette. It is my favorite Swiss meal and of course it involves eating massive amounts of cheese....so, girl aged 11 and I were tasked with going to the shops for a few needed items.  This was just the local village shop but walking in the door I was already in heaven!  A case filled full of different types of cheeses. We're talking probably 40 or more different kinds...all unpackaged. You walk up and try something or a few things and then tell the shop worker which you'd like and how much and they cut you a block, however big, and wrap it up for you to take home. Sensational!  I tell you I love cheese, good cheese...I was in heaven!



So on to today...I am trying hard to get used to the time difference. I made myself get up at 7:15ish and sat down to enjoy some quiet time and write to you all (started this post in the morning and am finishing it now after dinner....). The weather started out only just ok but not great and deteriorated from there....as a result, we decided on a day of shopping in Chur and then we went to the pool. The day was full and fun but nothing too exciting to report. 

I've managed to stay up an hour or so later tonight than last night so I'm proud of that. I think now  I will head to bed with the wish of better weather for tomorrow. If it's not, my new rain jacket and I might just go for a walk anyway. 

I will check in later....tschuss for now....

LuLu


No comments: