The rantings of an American girl living abroad in Switzerland...

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Sights, smells, and sounds of the holidays…

I will admit that I’m not always the biggest fan of the holidays. Since I’ve reached adulthood, and a thought of Christmas doesn’t always mean gifts anymore, it has lost a lot of the appeal to me. When I think of the holidays now I think more of over crowded malls, radio stations that play nonstop Christmas music (few things in life annoy me more than this), and stressing out over what to purchase for a friend or family member, among other things... However, the season has definitely begun here in Switzerland and I find myself missing the traditions back home.

Inside Zurich Hauptbahnhof (train station) booths are being set up for the Christmas market which will begin on Friday. This is the largest covered Christmas Market in Europe. I’m excited to see it all. They have put up a giant (enormous, massive…I can’t even begin to describe how large it is…) Christmas tree in the middle of the market and it’s covered in Swarovski crystal ornaments (I read somewhere that there were over 5,000). It is absolutely beautiful. Someone told me it would be there but I never imagined it would be so gigantic or so lovely. I’ve included a picture which doesn’t do it any justice but it’s the best I can do because of lighting in the place.


Additionally, today we were working in the kitchen and talking about Christmas decorations. The oldest girl and her mom were searching for the perfect plate/tray to put candles on for the season. It reminded me so much of being with my mom. I miss my mom…I miss day after Thanksgiving shopping (which they don’t have here because there is no Thanksgiving); however, I think I’m the only one who still has any interest in being up at 5AM to go to Wal-Mart and storm the store with several hundred other women. I miss decorating for Christmas on Thanksgiving night. It used to really upset my mom if we waited and I really used to hate it but now I find that I want to do the same. She loves Christmas and the décor and the feeling so much that she wanted it up for as long as possible. I miss baking with my mom for the holidays. Much of the time families don’t need presents but goodies are always welcomed. Mom, Jen, and I would spend all of one day making chocolate covered this and white chocolate covered that, cookies, divinity, fudge, you name it…if it was sugary and horrible for your teeth we were making it! I miss that a lot…making a huge mess and being covered in flour and sugar and chocolate but having so much fun!

We are having Christmas and Thanksgiving rolled into one when I get home. It should be strange and I have to say that I wondered why my mom and Jen were even bothering with it just because I wouldn’t be there for the actual days…but…I’m so glad they are at this very moment! Earlier, during the talks of the holidays here, I got really emotional. I started tearing up…who knows why really…and I had to walk into another room because I was so embarrassed that I was affected in that way. Not a really bad emotional experience but for a brief moment I really wished that I was at home talking about those same things with my mom!!

Well, Thanksgiving is Thursday and it’s just another day for me while I’m here. I am hoping to attend the Thanksgiving service at the IPC (International Protestant Church) that night but I am currently unsure if I can put it into the schedule. I will participate in the holiday decorating with my host family and that should be fun (and to see the holiday season through the eyes of two little girls!!). I am lucky to have such a wonderful family to work/live with (and I’m not just saying that because they will read this…) and that they invite me to participate. Several of my au pair friends have not been so fortunate. Additionally, I will be in Rome with several really great friends (BP and Jase) who may as well be my family because I love them so much. I’ll be celebrating in style but missing the hustle and bustle at home that’s for sure! Alright this has gone on long enough…I bid you adieu for the day or until the next post. Miss you guys…

Lots of love,

LuLu

No comments: