The rantings of an American girl living abroad in Switzerland...

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

What are we complaining about???

Hi all!!

Ok, I haven’t done that much in the last two days…unless you want to hear about the ins and outs of ironing (which I actually like to do by the way…). Today’s post is an informative one really. I often get asked the question, “so how much is gas over there?” to which I generally have no answer. I don’t buy gas (or petrol as we say here..) so I don’t really pay attention. However, today I was with my host mum when she purchased and I thought I’d throw some numbers out for all my American readers.

Petrol is sold by the liter here instead of by the gallon. I noticed while driving around today that the average price seems to be about 1.59CHF (Swiss Francs) per liter. Now, a gallon is roughly 3.79 liters. So…that would be about 6.03CHF per gallon. Now… before you get too worried that is still not converted to USD so let me do that as well. Currently 1 USD is worth about 1.25 CHF. So, that would mean that the average price of petrol in USD here in Switzerland is $4.83. That being said…when I left the States two months ago the gas prices around Atlanta seemed to be between $2.30 and $2.40 per gallon and based on a website for local gas prices they are currently around $2.00 per gallon. Prices here are more than double!

I wonder if the streets and pumps there still echo the same resounding complaint they have had for the past few years? “What’s up with these gas prices?” Complaints on how much we pay as Americans…so on a so forth. Hum, looking at the number here makes me feel bad I ever complained in the first place. Ok, I’m not getting on the soap box tonight I promise. I just wanted to let everyone know so I don’t look quite as dumb because I’m not informed.

*I apologize if any information in this post is incorrect in any way…being as I’m not in Atlanta myself I can only rely on the information I find on the local ATL sites for gas prices….

Ok, I’m turning in early again tonight. I’d be interested to know the stats on other places…BP and Jase, what’s the scene in Bosnia?...Friend formerly known as, what about London?...anyone anywhere else, what’s your situation???

Ok…guten nacht to all my readers!

LuLu

No comments: