This morning I find myself in the beautiful beach town of Nerja, Spain. Part of the Costa del Sol, Nerja is littered with white washed buildings, narrow streets humming with motorbikes and beaches with blue green water packed with sunbathers. As I write this to you, I am currently one of those many people.
I am not, however, a worshiper of the sun. I have rented us three chairs and a thatched umbrella for the day. This in an effort to stay out of the sun's rays as my friends enjoy being out in them and in the water (which I'm told is actually quite chilly despite the temperature being in the mid 90s today). For your enjoyment, here is my view for the day:
I don't completely dislike the beach; it does have its place. For example, back home, I enjoy spending a few days at the coast each year -usually in October- when I can walk down the beach in the morning and/or evening and really take in the beauty of it. I just don't get the love of the ocean like most people. I burn easily, I hate to sweat just because of being out in the sun, sand is like beach dirt and I dislike having it all over and honestly I get bored. I prefer to be exploring a city or in the mountains. Hiking isn't easy and I am known for complaining the whole way up but there is something supremely satisfying about getting to the top of a mountain and knowing you did all the hard work to get there.
We arrived in Spain late yesterday evening. Flying into Malaga, we picked up a rental car and headed for the coast. We are being quite brave, I feel, in driving from place to place on this portion of the trip, instead of taking public transport around. It will be interesting to know my opinion of this process once it is all over.
I guess for now I have nothing more to report other than the beach. We had a fabulous "omelette" for breakfast which was egg and whatever (in my case, cheese) on a really great piece of bread. I hope to have that same thing for the next few breakfasts :). We also tried churros and while they were ok (who doesn't like something deep fried?!?) it wasn't really my thing.
Last night we arrived in Nerja around 10pm and headed out for dinner around 11:30. The streets were still so lively and even small children were still around. We made a quick night of it and went to bed fairly early. I suspect tonight we will be more adventurous.
I'll check in again later....
Until then,
LuLu






No comments:
Post a Comment