The rantings of an American girl living abroad in Switzerland...

Monday, November 06, 2006

Let’s meet at the Big Clock…

Hi all!!

Wow, have I got a post for you today. This post has effectively become a platform for my rantings about life in general…

Ok, so if you’ve ever lived in or around Zurich you are probably aware the most popular place for meeting up with friends seems to be the Big Clock at Zurich HB (main train station). Now, this is a ridiculous idea and only makes for complete chaos in the end because half of Zurich is always standing there waiting for the other half to arrive! However, despite this fact, people still use this as their meeting point just as we have done several times this weekend and on various other occasions since my arrival here in Zurich. I have a few theories on why this is the chosen spot for gathering. Number 1…the Big Clock is a very large fixture at HB and therefore easy to spot if you are new in town. Number 2…this clock was placed conveniently close to most of the main platforms and the huge board which shows all departures and therefore easy to get to if you are arriving by train. And…Number 3…by far my favorite…people prefer to use this marker for assembling because they can keep an eye on the time and it makes pointing out how late the other party is a very easy thing to do!

At any point during the day there are a good many people standing around the clock. The day crowd is a bit strange. Sometimes the girls need more clothing or perhaps the people need to just go back home and take a good look in the mirror to rethink the outfit chosen for that day. Occasionally you’ll see a hair color not found in nature and therefore should never be put on your head. Everyone has the funniest looks on their faces as they glance all around looking for the people they are there to meet…However, in my experience, the night crowd is by far the most interesting! I thought in all my travels that I’d seen some truly strange people before. But, it must be said that Zurich seems to have the biggest crowd of strange people, most of them gothic, I’ve ever encountered. It may come as a shock to most of you, but I have a very strong fascination with these goth people. I always wanted to dress in all black and dye my hair and have all sorts of piercings, but I never had the guts to do this and most likely never will. Despite the fact that I have dyed my hair black since moving to Switzerland (it looks completely natural by the way…), I do not intend to turn goth at any time in the near future. However, watching them all around the Big Clock is truly an interesting experience! Just last night I saw the scariest/most interesting boy, although I guess he was really a man, I’ve ever come across. He was wearing heavy eye makeup (yes…a dude with heavy makeup!) and lots of strange jewelry. Dressed in all black with a long, floor length leather coat and what appeared to be a floor length dress or skirt underneath. His head was shaved down the side and his hair was dyed black with streaks of dark purple. It was long and pulled into the greasiest pony tail I’ve ever seen, although I think if it hadn't been pulled back it could probably be likened to a gothic mullet...not a great look!…ok, so he’s just one of many and maybe you can’t truly get the visual from this but he was so interesting looking that I couldn’t help but stare and I definitely think he noticed…hum…I had to walk off for a moment and while I was gone he left as well. Bummer…I was really interested to see who he was meeting. Maybe it was an equally scary dressed female meeting up for a date…or perhaps it was his mom or grandmother dressed more traditionally (that might just be the funniest meeting I’ve seen yet). Ok, enough about this but I think you get my point…lots of goths and lots of what we call skinheads back home.

One other subject I should address before signing off for the evening is PDA (Public Displays of Affection for all you aren’t familiar…). Ok, so, I have no issues with showing affection with your significant other but truly some of these people need to get a room! I find it to be a violation of my personal rights to have to witness such disgusting behaviors in public! Actually, I am down right embarrassed for the people involved when I am forced to become an innocent onlooker to these repulsive acts. Again, I want to stress that I am in no way a prude and I have no problem with normal displays of affection such as a sweet kiss or holding hands but I don’t want to witness anything beyond that!

Ok, stepping down from my soap box I’m turning in for the night! So, in conclusion... the strangest of people hang out at the Big Clock after dark and sometimes they need to get a room (although this applies for places all over the city and everywhere else I’ve been, not just the clock…).

One last thing…I finally found MY church here in Zurich. I attended the IPC (International Protestant Church) and found my home. They are a very traditional, English speaking church which means I fit in just fine. Give me those old hymns anytime!

Ok, truly I’m going for now!

I’ll post again soon!!

LuLu

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your description of these people makes me laugh because it reminds me of kids that I went to Highschool with! We had a lot of goth people at our highschool...hehe....and funny enough they all thought we wanted to see them tounge wrestling their goth significant other! EWWW

LuLu said...

Glad you enjoyed it! I could people watch 24 hours a day at this place and never get bored...you really should come over and check it out...you'd be amused too!

Anonymous said...

I do love to people watch!