Alright, now I always knew I was smart but I’ve had an idea today that blows all my bright ideas in the past out of the water! So, I’m trying to learn German right?!?! Yeah, well it’s really slow going. However, I have become more determined in my efforts lately and I’m trying to think up new things that will excite me and stimulate my learning of this language. So I’ve decided that a good idea would be to watch TV or movies in German and if possible do it with subtitles so I can have both languages going at once and possibly retain more. But…to take this idea even further (and this is the really genius part!!) I’ve decided to buy a Friends season here on DVD (of course one that I don’t already own) as they are in Deutsch and English and I can either watch English with German subtitles or vice versa. I can’t think of anything else I might learn faster from. I can already pretty much quote any Friends episode you can think of and my philosophy has always been that anything you can think of in life there is a Friends episode that in some way addresses it. It is my absolute favorite show and so I have to give myself (as usual) a hearty pat on the back for thinking this one up. I mean honestly…have you ever heard of a better idea in your entire life?!?!
Ok…so I’m a bit full of myself at the moment but I did want to share a few other things quickly. Yesterday I went out to the shops. I was gone for about 3 hours and talked to several different people and I didn’t have to use English at all. I spoke in German the whole time!!! It was the best feeling. Now, this might sound like a really big accomplishment (and I guess for me it really is since I haven’t been able to learn any other languages ever!) but the things I know how to say are really quite elementary. However, yesterday my first stop was the post office where I had to go in and ask for the postman to give me postage for 10 letters going B post (the slower service) and I needed a receipt…and I did it…I said it all…he did look at me quite strange because it takes me a bit of time to get it all out and make sure I’m pronouncing things correctly. I’m sure he could tell that I was learning but maybe that’s good because usually when people talk to me they do it so fast I can’t make out the words; however, when he told me how much I owed he did it very slow and deliberately so I understood perfectly. Yay!! One small accomplishment for me…
One last thing…I tried something new tonight. I was over at a friend’s flat tonight with some other people and I tried salmon eggs. I guess it’s sort of like caviar but not… hum…not sure…they were really salty and I’m quite sure they were something I want to eat again but I can say I tried it. Interesting…
Ok…I’m going to bed.
Goodnight All!!!
LuLu
The rantings of an American girl living abroad in Switzerland...
Saturday, February 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
what in the world possessed you to try salmon eggs... it sounds like spew in a shell.
on a more positive note though i am very proud of your friends in german idea.... i think this whole learning german thing is taking a bit too long and before you know it we will be home so good on you for trying!
Post a Comment