The rantings of an American girl living abroad in Switzerland...

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

There Once Was A Girl and Her Shoes…

***DISCLAIMER-this post has nothing to do with traveling in Europe and the subject is therefore one of the writer’s random rants about life…if you are looking for substance please look elsewhere***

Confucius say LuLu miss her shoes!! I want to start with an apology for my male readers. This post will most likely be a major waste of your time so I wouldn’t blame you if you stopped reading at this point. Now…ladies…I know that most of you will be able to identify closely with the subject of this post…SHOES!!

For me buying shoes is a source of comfort and stress relief…especially when I can find them in a good sale. Buying shoes is unlike purchasing anything else you wear. If you gain a little bit of weight you can still, most likely, find that perfect pair of shoes (even if you have to go up a half size)…When nothing else seems to fit I go directly for the shoes section. I am, what you could call, vertically challenged…SHORT…all my life I’ve endured pet names such as shorty, short stuff, midget, and my brother-in-law’s personal favorite Umpa Lumpa (you know, those short people helping Willy Wonka at the factory…). I’ve long gotten over my hatred of these names…I am short…it’s a fact of life and I deal with it daily…can’t reach the top shelf in the kitchen pantry so I get a stool, need help reaching things in the isle at Wal-Mart and I try to ask an attractive guy for help, etc…but the one area where I can’t get used to my abnormal body type is clothes shopping. I am short-waisted and short-legged. Nothing ever fits me properly…nothing except shoes.

Additionally, shoes have a quality that most accessories (can you call them an accessory…they must be worn…) don’t have, they can dress up or down almost any outfit. A lot of times the shoes make the outfit! The right shoe can make any size foot look delicate and grab the attention of others. I have a friend who says her feet look like that of a duck…when she finds the right shoe she throws a little party for herself at the store (and I do so love to be along when that happens). Ahhh, these are special times shared between women!!

Last night I had a dream…the subject of which is not important…at one point I was sitting in the floor in my closet back home trying on my shoes (and yes I used to do this quite a lot when I needed a pick-me-up). When I woke this AM I realized that I didn’t have any of the cute pairs here in Switzerland. When you pack for a year you choose to bring the ones that will go with everything and not the cute, fun, spunky pairs that only go with one thing in your closet…how I miss those shoes!! It’s as if I can hear them calling to me from across the Atlantic…”LuLu…come home and wear us before we go out of style…”

So…as cheesy as this sounds…I’m dedicating this post to my duck-footed friend in GA and those boxes of fabulous shoes sitting in a storage unit waiting for me to come back to them.

Ciao for now…

LuLu

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say....this is one of my favorite posts thus far....shoes....we are two of a kind when it comes to our feelings about shoes...never come between a woman and her shoes!!!!

LuLu said...

Ah CandyCane...I thought of you every moment as I was writing this...a bond we have...shoe shopping at the Macy's Big One Sale...how I miss it!!!

ps...I love you duck feet!!